Certified Nurse Midwives
What is a Certified Nurse Midwife?
A Certified Nurse Midwife, or CNM, is a highly trained and skilled health care professional who provides primary healthcare to women. CNMs are registered nurses who have completed advanced studies in women’s healthcare and midwifery.
CNMs are licensed in all 50 states and are certified by a national examination. They are held to the rigorous standards of practice set by the American College of Nurse-Midwives. In addition, they attend continuing education programs offered by hospitals, universities and the ACNM.
Smoky Mountain OB/GYN is proud to offer the option of care by our outstanding CNMs, each of whom is a highly skilled, talented and caring healthcare practitioner.
What Can a CNM Do For Me?
CNMs provide primary health care to women of all ages, and guide them through all stages of life with health education as a primary focus. Their care includes evaluation, assessment, treatment, and referral to a specialist when necessary. Their goals are to prevent medical problems from occurring by assisting women in developing and maintaining good health habits.
Your CNM provides a high quality of care which includes the following services:
- History and Physical Examinations- Including Pap smears, breast and pelvic examinations, referrals for mammography and laboratory tests, and general wellness counseling.
- Contraceptive Counseling – CNMs prescribe oral contraceptives, IUDs, and other forms of birth control. They provide information, counseling and management of all birth control options.
- Screening and Treatment of vaginal and urinary tract infections, sexually transmitted diseases, menstrual irregularities, pelvic pain and premenstrual syndrome.
- Preconception and Maternity Care – Including advising on how to achieve optimal health before and during pregnancy, how to minimize risks, and screening for potential problems. Provides early prenatal care which is so important for the health of the mother and baby.
- Medication Recommendations/Prescriptions – CNMs prescribe vitamins, birth control pills, antibiotics and other medications and health care products as needed.
- Perimenopausal and Postmenopausal Consultation – Provide counseling and recommendations for treatments for symptoms that may develop during these transitional times.
- Childbirth Education – Our midwives have achieved an additional certification to teach the Lamaze method of Childbirth Education. We offer classes in the office so check the schedule for the one that fits your needs.
- Weight Management – Our CNMs also provide individual counseling on diet, exercise and a healthy lifestyle. For some patients, prescription medication is offered.
Why Should I Choose a Certified Nurse-Midwife?
CNMs offer safe, high quality health care for women. They will take a complete family and personal health history and give you a thorough and gentle examination. You will be encouraged to ask any questions about your personal health concerns and they will discuss them with you in depth and confidentially.
If you develop a condition that requires more specific investigation and observation, they will consult with one of our OB/GYN physicians, or refer you to other specialists as needed. CNM’s experience and continuing education enables them to provide a total, caring approach to all aspects of a woman’s health.
For more information about Certified Nurse-Midwives, you can go online at www.midwife.org.